Thursday, February 3, 2011

Death poison of DEATH

The biggest worry about going off to college this past year wasn't the classes. It wasn't being away from home. It wasn't even whether my grades were going to be good or not.

It was whether or not my roommate was going to like me.

All over the media, from books to movies to television shows to music, one of the main things that can go wrong with your college years is being stuck with a roommate that you don't get along with. Now I wouldn't say that I'm a difficult person to get along with. I usually like everyone I meet.

But I will say that I'm kind of...well...quirky, maybe. I'd call myself a geek. I'd sooner go LARPing than play sports (and if you don't know what that is...go look it up and then laugh), don't drink, and pretty much do whatever I feel would be fun. A lot of people like this about me, but there are certain types of people that would like to just call me strange and move on.

So when our roommate assignments came out, I had a few reasons to be nervous. In the digital age, you can find out anything you want about a person from a few clicks on their facebook page. So...when my profile picture was this:

Seriously, this was one of the most fun times I've ever had. But granted, I may look SLIGHTLY silly.

And the first tagged video of me was THIS: 


Then you can maybe see why I had a few reasons to be concerned. I refused to change my profile picture and de-tag the video because I wanted my future roomie to know what he was in for. But I was still nervous about the whole thing.

So imagine how afraid I am when we finally get our roommate assignments, and my roomie Ryan's  first tagged video is of him, shirtless, performing a front-flip just for giggles. Yeah, I was pretty sure he was going to hate me. Not that I was going to dislike him, but he just wasn't going to like me. (Looking back now, Ryan has told me that the first thing he did was watch that video up there, and he was pretty sure he was going to hate me too hahaha!)

In my mind, this is how mornings would play out:

Ryan gets up for class, sans shirt. 
Ryan: AAHHHHH YES. Mine abs are feeling particularly fresh this fine morn! In fact, I think they may be feeling even better than yesterday! I jest of course, one cannot improve on perfection.  
Ryan laughs heartily, I die a bit inside. 

Slightly irrational, I know, but you can't blame me for fearing the worst.

Thankfully things turned out much better than expected. Ryan and I actually get along rather swimmingly, and he can make me laugh harder than most individuals I know. I still do things that he thinks are weird, but at least I don't get condemned for them...or at least not much.

The amount of inside jokes that Ryan and I have made are insane. Oftentimes at three or four in the morning people will ask us to quiet down because we're laughing hysterically at some video or picture or comic or just a ridiculous rant that one of us went on. Some future post or two will be on this subject.

So yeah, I'm glad with the way things turned out. It's made this whole college thing FAR easier and much more enjoyable.

And Ryan, since I know you're reading this, here's something you'll enjoy:

0 comments:

Post a Comment